"Whether it's a whiplash, serious injury or wrongful death case, we pride ourselves on representing you with the personal service and aggressive representation that you expect and deserve!" -Attorney Ron Sholes
Jacksonville Bicycle Accident Attorney
Bike Accidents in Duval County
Many people throughout the Jacksonville area rely on biking as a primary method of transportation. Others enjoy recreational biking or take part in cycling competitions. And, while biking is a fun and efficient way to get around, it also puts individuals at risk.
All too often, cyclists are injured by negligent motorists and others who simply aren’t paying attention. When this happens, injured individuals could have legal grounds to file a personal injury claim and seek financial compensation for their economic and non-economic damages.
If you or someone you love was involved in a bike accident in Duval County, reach out to the Law Offices of Ron Sholes, P.A. right away. Our Jacksonville bicycle accident lawyers have extensive experience representing injured cyclists and successfully fighting for the maximum compensation they are owed. We are ready to take on major insurance companies and other liable entities—and we know how to win.
Who Is Liable for Your Bicycle Accident?
To successfully bring a claim for damages, our team will work with you to determine who is liable. This is an important element of your bike accident claim, and it starts with identifying how the accident occurred. Often, through proving fault, our attorneys can establish liability.
Some potential liable parties include:
- A Motorist: If you were hit by a negligent driver, you may be able to file a claim with their insurance provider or bring a lawsuit directly against the driver.
- Another Cyclist: You may be able to bring a claim against another cyclist if they negligently caused a multiple-bicycle crash.
- A Pedestrian: Pedestrians are required to follow applicable laws and rules of the road; if your accident resulted from a pedestrian’s negligence, you could have a claim against them.
- A Manufacturer: If a defective product, such as a bike part or a helmet, caused or contributed to your injuries, you could have a product liability claim against the manufacturer.
- A Construction Company: You may have a claim against a construction company if your accident resulted from defective roadway design, construction, or maintenance.
These are just some examples of potentially liable people/parties; our firm can discuss the specifics of your situation with you during a free, confidential consultation.
How Florida’s No-Fault System Affects Bicycle Accident Claims
Because Florida is a no-fault state, all licensed drivers are required to carry personal injury protection (PIP) insurance. In a typical car accident claim, injured drivers turn to their PIP insurance for compensation for medical bills and lost wages, regardless of who was at fault for the crash. This system affects injured cyclists in that you can file a claim with your own auto insurance provider after an accident and secure a limited amount of compensation for your economic damages even if you were partly to blame for the accident.
However, PIP coverage is limited. You cannot recover compensation for the full cost of your medical expenses or lost wages through PIP, and you also cannot recover any compensation for non-economic damages, like pain and suffering, through PIP. To recover such damages, you will have to go outside the no-fault system.
The only way to go outside the no-fault system is to prove that your injuries meet the definition of a “serious injury” according to Florida law.
The state recognizes the following types of injuries as “serious:”
- Broken bones/fractures
- Injuries resulting in significant disfigurement or scarring
- Those that cause significant impairment of a bodily part/function
- Those that cause permanent and significant loss of function
How Our Legal Team Can Help
Unfortunately, because they have relatively little protection, most cyclists suffer significant catastrophic injuries when they are struck by large vehicles or become involved in accidents with other bicyclists or pedestrians. At the Law Offices of Ron Sholes, P.A., we have extensive experience helping seriously injured individuals fight for maximum compensation for their economic and non-economic damages, including pain and suffering, inconvenience, and lost quality of life.
We strive to provide every one of our clients with personal attention and 24-hour support. As a client, you receive your attorney’s cell phone number so that you can always get answers to your questions and concerns. Our Jacksonville bike accident attorneys are ready to do everything in their power to fight for the full, fair recovery you are owed, and we are with you every step of the way.
To get started with a free initial consultation, call us at (855) 933-3881 today.