"Whether it's a whiplash, serious injury or wrongful death case, we pride ourselves on representing you with the personal service and aggressive representation that you expect and deserve!" -Attorney Ron Sholes
Jacksonville Boating Accident Attorney
Boating Accidents in Duval County
When enjoyed safely, boating is a fun recreational activity. Unfortunately, many people do not realize the risks associated with a day out on the water and many do not take boating safety seriously. This can—and often does—lead to tragic accidents.
If you or a loved one was involved in a boating accident, and you believe someone else’s negligence was to blame, the Law Offices of Ron Sholes, P.A. can help. From our Jacksonville office, we provide personalized legal representation to individuals who have suffered catastrophic injuries or lost loved ones due to the negligent and wrongful conduct of others. Backed by more than 100 years of collective experience, our attorneys have the resources and skill to effectively advocate for the maximum recovery you are owed.
Learn more during a free consultation with one of our Jacksonville boating accident attorneys; call us at (855) 933-3881 today to get started.
Common Causes of Boating Accidents
Boating and personal watercraft accidents are almost always preventable. Unfortunately, this means that the majority of these accidents occur as a result of carelessness, recklessness, or even unlawful behavior.
Some of the most common causes of boating accidents include:
- Operator inexperience
- Operating a vessel while intoxicated
- Failure to keep a proper lookout
- Distracted operators
- Unsafe waters/hazards in or near the water
- Improper towing
- Excessive speeds
- Mechanical failure
- Defective parts
Tragically, many boating accidents lead to serious injuries, including brain injuries caused by near-drownings. Still others result in fatalities. For the injured and the surviving families, legal remedies are available.
How to File a Boating Accident Claim
The process of filing a personal injury claim after a boating accident involves several important steps. While you are not required by law to hire an attorney, working with an experienced legal team can make all the difference in this process. An attorney will be able to help ensure you do not make any mistakes that could jeopardize your recovery, and your legal team will be able to effectively represent you throughout all related proceedings.
Whether you were injured in an accident involving a private boat, Jet Ski, Sea-Doo, or any other personal watercraft, there are several things you should do after the accident:
- First, seek medical attention. This is not only important for your health and safety, but it also establishes that you were injured in the accident, which is a critical element of your personal injury case. Even if you believe you were not severely injured, always see a medical professional to receive the proper diagnosis and care.
- If possible, get the name and contact information of the other person or people involved. Avoid admitting fault for the accident or downplaying any of your injuries, as this could ultimately hurt your claim.
- Contact the Coast Guard (or the appropriate authority) and report the accident. By law, you are required to report any accident that results in a fatality, missing person, serious injury (one that requires professional medical attention), destroyed vessel, or more than $2,000 in damage.
- If possible, be sure to preserve any evidence, including your boat or personal watercraft. Take pictures of the damage, as well as your injuries. If there were any witnesses, write down their statements and be sure to get their contact information.
- Inform your insurance company about the accident. You may be required to use your own insurance coverage to obtain compensation for your medical expenses and lost wages resulting from your injuries. Our Jacksonville boating accident attorneys can assist you in this process.
- Contact an attorney. This is one of the most important things you can do after any accident to ensure your rights are protected. At the Law Offices of Ron Sholes, P.A., we are available to answer your call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and you will always reach a real person when you call our office.
When you reach out to our firm, we will guide you through the next steps. Filing your boating accident claim will likely involve identifying who was at fault for the incident, determining liability, evaluating the severity of your injuries and damages, alerting the appropriate party/parties of your intent to file a claim, and negotiating with the insurance company. Our team is ready to handle all the details of your case while you focus on healing and getting back on your feet.
If You Were Hurt, We Will Fight!
At the Law Offices of Ron Sholes, P.A., we believe that you should not have to suffer the consequences of someone else’s negligence on your own—and the law is on your side. Our experienced and compassionate boating accident attorneys are ready to fight for you, even if that means taking your case to trial. Our goal is to help you recover the maximum compensation you are owed for your medical bills, lost wages, inconvenience, and pain and suffering. When you’ve been injured in a serious boating accident, choose a team that will fight tooth and nail for you.